Skin is a very delicate organ. While it’s the largest organ of the body, it is also constantly exposed to the elements. The list of potential assaults is long - it can be anything from too much exposure to the sun to brushing against an abrasive surface. With these hazards, one should always be careful of what your skin comes in contact with.
So what do you think happens to the outermost layer of skin cells when you slap some tape on yourself? Now mix your skin with a poor quality adhesive. Guess what? That tape is going to rip off your outermost layers of skin cells. I mean... off they will come! Wax - job style.
Maybe not like how Steve Carell's chest hair went off in “The 40-Year Old Virgin." But, off they come nonetheless.
Before diving deeper into what you should do when you develop a rash from Kinesiology tape, we cannot stress enough how important it is to use high-quality tapes. We have seen one too many cases of folks who have skin irritation from skimping out on quality.
If you have been using lesser quality tape, that could be your first problem. Try out Tapegeeks' premium tapes right now!
Use code: NOMORERASH for 20% OFF YOUR FIRST ORDER
However, if you tried us out but are still experiencing rashes, then check out the list below:
What do you do if you have a kinesiology tape rash?
If you are one of the few regular kinesiology tape users who DO get a rash, try these things:
- Just enough stretch. Do NOT add too much stretch to the middle of the tape. Check out our education page for taping protocols for different areas of the body and how much stress you should apply for your application
- Longer anchor pieces. Give yourself longer “anchor pieces" or ends of the applied tape.
- Use gentler adhesive. Try a kinesiology tape with a less strong adhesive - more is not always better for everyone.
- Tape over clean skin. Don't apply any lotions or oils before taping
- Wear for up to 3 days only. Only use the tape for a maximum of three days. Then, let your skin breathe as you leave it off for at least a full day.
- Make sure the tape is clean. If you have sweat heavily or the tape has become dirty during any of your activities, take it off and replace it with a new one.
- If itchy, peel it off. If you experience any itching under the tape, remove it IMMEDIATELY.
While a rash is often red, itchy, and can be bumpy, it usually goes away within the day. Do NOT reapply kinesiology tape until that skin looks and feels completely normal again. Then, follow the above advice for subsequent applications.
How to avoid kinesiology tape allergic reactions?
If it’s your first time taping or looking to consider using another brand, here are some things to keep in mind:
- Do a test patch. This advice is useful for people who have highly sensitive skin or are prone to skin irritation. To do a test patch, take a small piece of tape and apply it without any stretch to the area where you are planning to put on your tape. Leave it on for at least 24 hours to see if you develop any reactions. Remove IMMEDIATELY if you have. If you did not experience irritation, this means that the tape is safe for you to use.
- Skin must be clean and dry. Make sure that you don’t apply any lotions or oils beforehand. This is to ensure that the tape adheres well to the skin while avoiding irritation.
- Opt for hypoallergenic tapes. Be wary of tapes that contain zinc and even latex to avoid allergic reactions.
Tape Geeks: Strong but gentle tape that’s friendly on the skin
If you're looking for a kinesiology tape brand that's strong yet gentle on the skin, Tape Geeks is a great place to start! Our tapes are created with 100% premium adhesives and made in ISO and dermatologist-approved factories. Water-proof, you can also wear our kinesiology tapes when showering without the fear of peeling off.
No matter what product you are putting on your skin, you should always be vigilant and careful. This advice doesn’t just apply to the beauty products that you use. It’s true for taping, as well.
Tape Geeks understands this. This is why we urge you to make sure that you reach for high-quality tapes.
This is also why we took extra time and care in doing extensive research for our tapes. We have found that the best quality adhesives come from South Korea or Japan. We manufacture our tapes in South Korea. If you opt for another brand, make sure to check where they are made.
What’s more, we are so sure of the quality of our tapes that we offer a Lifetime Guarantee. This means that should you encounter any problems when using our k-tapes, you should let us know. We’ll give you a full refund, no questions asked.